Recipe : Anusha Rao (Follow HEAVENLY BITES on Instagram @heavenlybites.yummyand on Facebook @yummyheavenlybites)
Chocolate Cake recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with baking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Whisk all the wet ingredients together either by using a hand held or stand mixer:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water + 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Sift and combine the dry ingredients together:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Combine wet and dry ingredients but do not over mix.
- Divide the cake batter equally between the two cake pans and bake in the pre heated oven for 35 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes out of the oven for about an hour during which the chocolate whipped cream filling can be made (recipe listed below).
- Place one cake layer on a cake board or a serving plate, spread an even layer of filling on it and then place the second layer on top. Add more filling on the top and the sides and cover the cake.
- Optional – Decorate with chocolate shavings or chocolate chips on top and a simple border using 1M Wilton decorating tip
- Time to indulge in the decadent cake!! Refrigerate the remaining cake (if any left ;)).
Chocolate Whipped Cream Filling
- Add 2 cups of heavy whipping cream to a mixing bowl.
- Combine 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 6 -8 tablespoons of sugar (adjust based on your sweetness preferences), 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream (from the 2 cups that was added to the mixing bowl earlier)
- Add the above mixture to the heavy whipping cream and beat until just stiff peaks using a whisk attachment or a hand held mixer
- Cover and refrigerate if not using immediately.
Follow HEAVENLY BITES on Instagram @heavenlybites.yummy and on Facebook @yummyheavenlybites.